Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Reading Reflection Lesson 4 - Cataloguing


This weeks’ lesson was another eye-opener for me (oh so much to learn!) I had never really given too much thought about how a book is described so that it can be found. Usually Title and Author are all I use to find a book, but the suggestion that a book could be catalogued with a description of its colour surprised me. Although it makes sense, as Keith commented, that sometimes students may inquire about a book and may only remember its colour! Throughout this lesson, I was introduced to the many ways that books could be catalogued, and how they are catalogued for the most efficient ACCESS.  I learn well by analogies, so I liked the analogy that Keith mentioned of organizing a kitchen, and how if someone else did it for me, I wouldn’t be able to easily find things. So it is with the library. There needs to be some standards in place to provide quick, easy, accurate access to the information.

I was interested to read that there are now some new standards for bibliographic description: “Resource Description and Access (RDA) is a new standard for bibliographic description for libraries, archives, museums and other information organizations. In 2011, RDA is being tested by libraries.” (McPherson, Lesson 4) I wonder how this works? I imagine this will be covered in later lessons. 

There were many new terms introduced this week, and some terms expanded on my previous knowledge. A new term for me was: 'collocating' which is “often attributed to catalogue functions. To ‘collocate’ provides for linkages between items. Subjects relating to other subjects, books by the same author, etc. (McPerson, Lesson 4). I appreciated the analogy from Keith where he describes Amazon.com’s: "customers who bought this, also bought..." as a good example of the technique of collocating.

With all these new terms, standards, and definitions, I look forward to our further exploration of Cataloguing!

No comments:

Post a Comment