With this lesson, I have NO background knowledge of how
resources are catalogued in a school library, so I am looking forward to finding out how items get
ORGANIZED!
Personally, when I am doing a search for a resource, some main
points that I look at are: the title, the author, the brief description, the
summary, quite often I look to see how many pages are in the book, and I will
check to see what the format is – whether it is a book, video, audio, etc.
Something else I realize that I look to first, is the photo of the book. I know
that if there isn’t one, I am disappointed.
I was interested to learn about the ISBD (International Standard Bibliographic
Description), and how they divide the resource description into eight units,
called areas, and that they are listed in a particular order:
Title and statement(s) of
responsibility
Edition
Material (or type of
publication) specific details
Publication, distribution, etc.
Physical description
Series
Note(s)
Standard number
In examining these areas, for a teacher or student who is
trying to find the particular Mother Goose book as pictured in this week’s lesson,
I would think that they would tend to look up the book based on the subject –
in this case Nursery Rhymes. I am guessing the subject of the book would be
included under the "area" of Material. If
a teacher/student knew that they were looking for "Mother Goose" in particular,
then I think they would most likely use the title search of Mother Goose.
Hmmm…I almost feel like I need to design AREAS for the rest
of today’s blog!
INSIGHTS FROM THIS WEEK’S READINGS:
In the Manitoba Education and Training handbook (1997, p.1.4) , this
section stood out for me as the main reason cataloguing of resources needs to
take place:
The catalogue enable users to
• retrieve information efficiently
• increase understanding by students and staff of information retrieval
systems
• plan, order, and check resources efficiently
• develop information retrieval skills that are transferable from one
school library to other school, public, college, university, and special libraries
As I read through Chapter 3 in the Manitoba Education and Training
handbook regarding organization of the school library, they are very specific
in how the resources in the library should be arranged. I am hearing more about
some school libraries developing their own way of sorting resources in the
library, and how some are going away from the Dewey Decimal system. Is this
something that is going to become more prevalent?
Chapter 4 of Standard cataloguing for school and public libraries by
Intner, & Weihs, (2001). This chapter was rather confusing to me, and most
of the time I kept thinking how glad I was that our district has people who
catalogue the books into the system!
KEITH’S QUOTES: (the instructor for this course!)
“Housekeeping details supplied by cataloguing agencies are of little
interest to the teacher-librarian. However, any information added as
housekeeping at the school level is often vitally important to collection
management.”
“Consistency is important in bibliographic control and is a factor in effective
information retrieval.”
QUESTIONS I PONDER:
T-slips…are these still used??!! This is the first that I have heard of
them. This manual work sounds like something that would not be done anymore
with latest technology.
Although the Manitoba Education and Training handbook is from 1997, I
do see the benefits for each of these topics. I wonder though, with the wider
scope of written and online resources that are available, if this is going to
become increasingly difficult?
NEW TERMS!
Some terms I learned this week (ones that I had heard of, but didn’t
know what they stood for):
I learned the words for ISBN! I always knew what it referred to, but
did not know it is called the “International Standard Book Number.”
Also, I didn’t realize that a MARC record is a "Machine Readable
Cataloguing record"
FINAL THOUGHTS:
I didn’t fully understand the article by Conners (2008) on Main Entry.
I think this is partly because I have not worked in a library yet, so I don’t
understand the different distinctions for entries. I do agree though, that if
something such as Main Entries is now redundant, then it is time to move on to
something more current, and reflects the needs of today’s library.
No comments:
Post a Comment