Thursday, 25 October 2012

Reading Reflection Lesson 8 -Folksonomy


 “Folksonomy, a free-form tagging, is a user-generated classification system of web contents that allows users to tag their favorite web resources with their chosen words or phrases selected from natural language.” (Noruzi, 2006) I believe this is something that I am doing already, it is just that this is a formal definition of what is going on. I am thinking this is similar to what I do when I give a subject name to a website that I am bookmarking. I have just started to use Diigo, so I am learning about that aspect of social bookmarking. Noruzi states, “The purpose of this study is to provide an overview of the folksonomy tagging phenomenon (also called social tagging and social bookmarking) and explore some of the reasons why we need controlled vocabularies, discussing the problems associated with folksonomy” (Noruzi, 2006)

After reading more of Noruzi’s article, I learned that I can browse other websites that other people have bookmarked within the system. I notice that Diigo is not on the list of most popular folksonomy-based systems, but I am guessing that Diigo is newer than 2006 when this article was written. I recognize some other systems, but did not realize they fell under the same umbrella as folksonomy.

One of the main advantages of bookmarking that I enjoy is that it keeps track of all my favourite sites, and I can name them as I wish on my computer. One thing that social bookmarking can do, that I just learned, is that for one, it is stored online so I can access it anywhere, not just from my computer, but that I can find out what other people are bookmarking in relation to the same site I have bookmarked.  One thing I have noticed though, is that the key aspect for making my OWN tags, is that it needs to make sense to ME. What someone else chooses as a subject heading may not fit for me. Usually when I am bookmarking a site, it is for my own benefit so that I can access it again. The idea of shared bookmarks is great so that I can have access to other websites related to the same topic, so I can see where a standard for tagging would need to be established. However, like I said, one persons bookmark under a specific subject tag may not be what I had in mind.

I realized this even more when we were asked, as part of this week’s lesson to explore another social bookmarking site – Delicious:

I decided to look up information about diabetes (my mom has Type 1). I first searched Diabetes on Google, and had 280 million results! When trying to bookmark a site I liked using Delicious, some of the tags that came up as other “Suggested Tags” were: sintomas, prevencion, riesgo, medicine, medicina, Biology 20, Diabetes, symptoms, disease, system:unfiled. I am not familiar with most of these terms! A different language?

When I narrowed the Google search to Type 1 diabetes, it reduced it to 66 million – still a lot. When I bookmarked a site with Delicious (Canadian Diabetic Association), there were no suggested tags – I thought for sure there would be a lot of people who had already bookmarked this site.

So then I Googled Treatment for Type 1 Diabetes, and I had 38 million results. Once again, no “Suggested Tags” for the site I chose to bookmark.

So now I did a search within Delicious. When I searched Diabetes, I got 70 215 results. Certainly much more refined than 280 million! The site I saved with this search had only been saved 18 times. The top bookmarked site (1476 saves) was interesting… “Natural compound helps reverse diabetes in mice” (medicalxpress.com) Not sure how reputable the site is, but I’m skeptical -the name may be a hint!) Some other “related tags” for Diabetes in Delicious that were listed that seemed curious to me were: dietetica, linkroll, my, sitting. Ones that made more sense TO ME were: bloodsugar101, patient_support, monitoring. Obviously these other “curious” tags for me possibly meant something to someone else. Or, if anyone can make up any tag, they can come up with silly, nonsense tags.

My next search in Delicious, Type 1 Diabetes, had 1741 results. My link was only bookmarked by me (Canadian Diabetic Association) -I was disappointed. I didn’t really see anything out of the ordinary. The top site had 217 saves (dlife.com) and the next, a site for finding diabetic recipes (124 saves).

Last search, treatment for Type 1 Diabetes yielded 122 results. Once again, my link was only bookmarked by me. This is where the “Related Tags” got sketchy! Porn, XXX, teen nonnude galleries bikini, it goes on…

So I am not overly impressed with Delicious. Fun maybe for seeing what other people have tagged, but I don’t see myself using it for important research, or as a Teacher Librarian, unless there is more control over the headings that are being used for specific subjects.

Work Cited: Noruzi, A. (2006). Folksonomies: (Un)Controlled Vocabulary? Knowledge Organization, 33(4), 199-203.


No comments:

Post a Comment