Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Reading Reflection Lesson 7 - MARC, CIP, and Copy Cataloguing


Okay… so a couple weeks ago I posted that I was looking forward to “our further exploration of cataloguing!” Well…the exploration has been extensive with MARC records, and I think my brain is hurting! I am starting to dream about MARC records! So many numbers, so many tags, so many indicators, and now the CIP (cataloging-in-publication). I had never heard of this before – I always looked at this page when doing my bibliographies, but I did not realize the formalities of it. I have to admit, I enjoyed looking at the CIP’s and understanding them a little better. Then to find out that sometimes they are incorrect was actually fascinating. It was interesting to learn that older books’ CIP’s could be different than the MARC records – I would not have noticed that.

After reading about copy cataloguing, I was certainly wishing we could have used this for our MARC records in Assignment #2! Oh how much easier that would have been! It was comforting to know that there are “cooperative entities” (Lesson 7) which collaborate to put together these catalogue records. I found the MARC records to be informative, yet very labor intensive to make from scratch. One question that I did keep asking myself throughout this lesson, however, was: if there are so many places to access MARC records for free, then why would a library pay to get them? Or is it that the ones you pay for are more standardized and complete? Or is it because of a compatible format that you are paying to download? Interesting…

No comments:

Post a Comment