Thursday, 13 September 2012

Reading Reflection Lesson 2 - Digital Media



When asked to comment on my biases for and against digital media, my following reflection would most likely demonstrate my biases against:
As I read through the article by Loertscher, David. The School Library Learning Commons (2008), the stark realization is hitting me. Our society is moving to LIVE in front of a computer screen! Our existence will be in front of a screen. Students collaborating with other students, communicating with teachers…in front of a screen. Textbooks, learning, assignments…in front of a screen. Want to read a good book? …sit in front of a screen. Watch a movie? …go to the screen. Want to do a research project…go to the screen. Children no longer getting together with friends outside the home, they could just video-conference…in front of a screen..Want to chat or have a visit with relatives? …sit in front of a screen. Need to buy groceries, clothes, appliances…sit in front of a screen. We don’t even have to have a face-to-face verbal conversation with someone anymore, but with text…and screens (anyone watched WALL-E??). More people are working from home…in front of a screen. Sure wish I could make a screen make my dinner, do my laundry, and clean my house!! Oh wait, there are services that I can access (and of course pay for) by getting in front of…yes…a screen!! This is all feeling rather overwhelming to me – I wonder if this is similar to how people felt with the introduction of the telephone??!
Personally, I DO enjoy digital media, I definitely see the usefulness, and I am amazed at the amount of information that is available at my fingertips. I use digital media often, but I have the choice of when I want to use it, and when I don’t. To live in a society where there is no choice, honestly, makes me a little nervous. I just don’t like the idea of “living in front of a screen.” I like face-to-face contact, and getting out into the “real world!”


No comments:

Post a Comment