Metadata??!!
Okay…now I am venturing into territory outside of my comfort
zone! Yes, I use a computer, and familiar with searching (I am a Googler) but
when it comes to understanding these search engines, and exploring “metadata,”
I can feel my brain start to swirl! Familiar…yes… having “ a mastery of search engine
anatomy”(McPherson, K. Module 3 lesson) I do not. Do I see this as a benefit
for a “teacher librarian in developing information literacy with colleagues and
students?”...absolutely! I admire people who can maneuver their way around the
computer, internet, etc…with ease. With technology, and the advancements of
information that is available on the internet, to be able to have a critical
eye, and the ability to discern between credible sources, current information,
I would see this as a huge benefit for a Teacher Librarian. It reminds me of
learning the sport of curling. At first, the sport seems very superficial –
just sliding around on the ice, throwing rocks down to the other end. But as
one learns the sport, he/she rarely falls down on the ice any more, can get the
rocks down to the other end of the house with more accuracy, and has an
in-depth understanding of the precise strategy that is involved with the
competitive game. Understanding Metadata and the inner-workings of the internet
– I am at the beginner curler stage. Oh, to be able to be a Teacher Librarian
that can move around with speed, accuracy, and have that in-depth understanding
of the internet and search engines is a quality I admire and hope to strive
for!
Some “ah ha” moments for me this week, as this was a lot of
new information to me:
*My
understanding was that when I typed in a search in Google, the results that
appeared at the top of the page were the ones that were the visited the most
amount of times. I did not realize this: “This is yet another flaw which
affects the results that appear at the top of the page with all of the search
services – the results which appear at the top may not be the most current
(perhaps not even most relevant) – the web site owner just paid the most money
to appear there. Just about every search service online provides some form of
‘paid for’ listings at the top of the pile” (Grehan, M. 2002)
a “search engine locates the appropriate data in the
database and displays it via the browser.
*In understanding search engines, I did not realize that a
“search engine locates the appropriate data in the database and displays it via
the browser . This is not to be confused with directories such as Yahoo, that
provide subject lists created by humans, that must be browsed.” (Taylor, C
.2003)
*Such an appropriate name
-“spider” that crawls around the web and gathers information!
*A key role of the Teacher Librarian in this technological
era: “It is now very easy to publish
information, but it is becoming more difficult to find relevant information.
For outsiders and casual users, much of the useful material is difficult to
locate and therefore is effectively unavailable” (Taylor, C. 2003). Teacher
Librarians should not be an “outsider” or “casual user!”
*Dublin Core Metadata schema– apparently a term I should
become very familiar with for improving “my resource discovery and
delivery”(Taylor, C. 2003).
Works cited:
Grehan, M. Excerpted
from the 2002 publication of Search Engine Marketing: The Essential Best
Practice Guide. How Search Engines Work. Retrieved
from http://cms.searchenginewatch.com/digital_assets/3859/how-search-engines-work-mike-grehan.pdf
Taylor, C. Taylor, C. (2003). An introduction to metadata.
Retrieved February 21, 2009 from http://www.library.uq.edu.au/iad/ctmeta4.html
*****************
In our
exploration of three Search Engines, I found it difficult to decipher how they
determine their relevance rankings, but looking at three in particular, this is
what I was able to come up with:
Google: took
a bit of looking, but eventually found how they “Make Search More Relevant.” I
like how they have worded it in simple terms that I can understand:
“It is by
analyzing these search patterns via our logs
data that our engineers are able to improve the search algorithms
that determine the order in which our search results appear. If our engineers
can see that people are consistently clicking on the top result for any given
query, they know they are doing something right. If people are hitting “next
page” or typing in another query, they know they’re not delivering the results
that people are looking for, and can then take action to try and improve the
search algorithms.”
This makes
sense to me – if they can track that a site is visited often, then they know
people are finding some use to it. If a person does not stay at a site, or
quickly go to a different search, then it may not be what they were looking for
based on the search query that was typed in.
I use Google
as my main search engine, and appreciate the programs they have put in to make
searches quicker and easier, but I did not realize there were actual names for
these programs, such as Autocomplete,
(words finish as you type them) and Google Instant, (top
searches pop up as you are typing your search).
Yahoo: Not
sure if I was able to find the exact details on relevancy ranking, but the only
thing I could find was a brief paragraph on how it is a “complex text analysis
which examines the relationships and context of the words in the document” (How Yahoo! Search results are ranked ).
DMOZ: I
found the DMOZ Help very informative. It helped that they explained the difference
between their Open Directory Project, and for example, Google: “The ODP is a
Web directory, not a search engine. Although we offer a search query, the
purpose of the ODP is to list and categorize web sites. We do not rank, promote
or optimize sites for search engines. The ODP is simply a data provider.” (DMOZ).
I have not used DMOZ before, but may
look to it in the future. I am not sure if it is more time consuming, but
wondering if it would yield better results.
I have to
admit, this is still all very confusing to me, but I feel I have gained a bit
of insight as to how the search engines work. I am not sure, at this point
however, how this will help me as a TL in the library? I hope that as this
course progresses, I will understand more about this.
No comments:
Post a Comment