Friday, 7 September 2012

Reading Reflection Lesson1 - Organization

Alright, so an a-ha moment already. The title of this course: "Organization" of Learning Resources - I thought this referred to a type of organization, like a society or association! So now I feel a bit more on track...organization, like organizing things, putting them in order!! (I chuckle at myself!! Oh so much to learn!!)
This weeks' readings highlighted the importance of organization in the school library. I find the underlying theme for Teacher Librarians (TLs) is to establish good relationships with students, teachers/staff, and administrators. These relationships encompass a large variety of different areas. In the article, Students' Information Literacy Needs in the 21st Century: Competencies for Teacher-Librarians (2007), I see a picture painted of the IDEAL teacher librarian.  I can’t help but wonder if the TL’s at my daughters' elementary and high schools are close to fulfilling any/all these requirements? This was written also in 2007, so how much progress has been made on this in the past 5 years??
One question posed regarding this document was, " Are there any areas where one does not require a knowledge of how to organize and a commitment to good organization? No, it appears they all require these skills,  but I think with ANY job, it could be argued that there is at least some level of organizational skills, and a commitment to good organization needed. My mom works at a fabric store. To some, this may seem like an easy, not-much-to-it job. However, for one aspect of her job, she needs to be very organized when she receives the shipments in. She also has a commitment to good organization, otherwise she could be making the job more difficult for herself, or possibly be let go from her employer. This is just one area of her job, and there are many others where organization is key. Even at home, everyone in my family needs knowledge of how to organize, and have a commitment to good organization, whether it is getting homework done, getting ready for school/work, or planning the next fishing trip! Organization...not just a society or association...so much to learn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment