Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Reading Reflection Lesson 10 - Cataloguing...returns!!


So much to learn about cataloguing that I had no idea about!

After having to construct my own MARC records for an assignment (okay, I tried to construct), I would definitely look at alternative options for obtaining cataloguing records. One thing I wondered is that many libraries pay for access to MARC records. I am wondering why, for example, an elementary school library would do this if the MARC records are available for free from LOC or VPL? Is this type of copy cataloguing permissible? I also wonder if the purchase of MARC records is more of an issue for highschool and post secondary institutions? Or at the district level because of the volume of books that have to be entered? If this is the case, then I can see why they would want to purchase the cataloguing information from a supplier for the ease, and to also maintain some sort of continuity.

I have to admit that I am relieved that our district has district-level personnel to deal with cataloguing of new books. Although, I agree that it is useful to have an understanding of MARC records, and have the ability to modify the catalogue information to suit the environment of the school.

One thing that surprised me, was the suggestion to “select a jobber and buy all your materials from one source.  However if you buy locally, keep in mind that you may not be getting quality, library bindings on your books.” I didn’t realize until recently that quality could be an issue. The TL at my daughter’s school decided to buy some books for the library, and found that many of them were falling apart after a short period of time. So I can see where it would be worthwhile to find out from other TL’s quality suppliers – jobbers - and go with that. Sometimes the prices may be a little more, but perhaps the books will last longer.
Jobbers:

Follett's Titlewave: Searching through some of the materials, I notice that there are many suggestions to “Find materials tied to state and common core standards for…” (retrieved from http://www.flr.follett.com/intro/firstchoice_elem.html) which is great for educators in the states, but not for Canada. It looks like a great resource for the broad spectrum of resources available, but I wonder how many people in Canada use this resource. I wonder what the shipping costs and customs costs are? I don’t know if the cost savings would be enough to justify ordering from there – but I have no experience in this area either.

United Library Services: I like to promote services that are Canadian! The store down in Burnaby looks like one that I would like to visit. If it is designed specifically for school libraries, then I would think that the books are designed to last, and not fall apart after a few uses! I also like the fact that the company is flexible to those visiting the warehouse: “Our showrooms are open to school & library staff during our regular warehouse hours of operation. No appointment is necessary. If our advertised openings are inconvenient for you, please call us to arrange a time better suited to your needs” (retrieved from : http://www.uls.com/ULS/index2.jsp). Customer service is another key aspect for me!

One of the key pieces of advice that stuck out for me was: “Consider if you can purchase locally at a competitive price. For some major items the service and support that accompany a purchase are as critical as the purchased items. For example, some jobbers pay shipping while others may not, some publishers offer free processing while others charge for the service. Decisions of where to purchase must include the total package: item, shipping, processing if applicable, and any other available support/services needed” (Module 10 lesson). This makes sense, as I even use this advice when I am shopping for myself. If I can buy locally, I will. If I can purchase something online, I will double check on the cost of shipping and handling to see if it will end up still costing less, or possibly more.

OCLC – I spent some time going through this site, just trying to figure out exactly what it entails. It seems like there is a wealth of information to be discovered, but I am not quite sure how to access it. One of the videos describes how WorldCat will become WorldShare in Feb 2013, so that is a change that will be coming up soon. I also discovered a bit about interlibrary loans, which I am guessing is a large part of WorldShare, I am also not sure of the distinction between WorldCat/WorldShare and OCLC. I would imagine there involves some sort of subscription/membership for this service, but looks to be quite extensive in its world wide access to library materials. If this is a site that provides cataloguing for books, then adhering to a standard would be beneficial for continuity, as long as that standard is suitable for the school that is using it.

Z39.50. Also another term I am not familiar with, but in the definition, the statement that stood out for me was: “used to search several sources simultaneously and integrate the results.” (ODLIS) The definition from the LOC site states, “Z39.50 is a national and international (ISO 23950) standard defining a protocol for computer-to-computer information retrieval.” My best understanding is if information can be passed quickly and accurately between computers, then this would be desirable.  

As far as allowing uncatalogued material to be circulated, I have never worked in a library, so I am really not sure of the ramifications. Personally, if I had some new material that came in, and a teacher saw it, and could see the usefulness of it to his/her class the next day, then I would probably let that teacher borrow it. I would quickly have the teacher note the title and other basic info, the date, and I would specify a time frame when it needs to be back. Once it comes back, then I could catalogue it properly. However, I am unsure if I would have the same response if it was an elementary student, unless the resource was going to stay within the walls of the library. 

No comments:

Post a Comment