Sunday, 25 November 2012

Lesson 13 - Learning Resources


This week’s lesson was one of those lessons that really had me itching to be in my own library! The practical suggestions and ways to improve the physical space had me imagining how I would incorporate all of these ideas into my own library. I don’t think, however, I will be able to incorporate ALL of them right away! Some of the potential costs involved can be quite a hindrance, so trying to be creative and keep the costs down can be a challenge. I enjoyed reading through everyone’s discussion post on how they would improve their own space, and found there were a few repeated ideas, such as weeding, improved access, rearranging furniture for better use of space, and improved technology. I was also amazed at the difference between everyone’s library space and needs. No library is the same, and the requirements will be different based on the needs of the school community.

Another aspect of this week’s lesson that I hadn’t given too much thought about was the issue of overdue materials. This topic had been briefly brought up in another course as well, but a suggestion this week stuck with me:

“With overdue materials it is important to establish a regular pattern of issuing overdue book reminders. This may be done daily, or at least weekly (as is most cases in BC schools). Discuss the frequency with teaching staff to ensure notices are delivered at intervals accepted to them. Bombarding teachers with unwanted notices will result in unread notices” (Lesson 13).

Establishing an “acceptable” pattern seems so basic, yet so necessary. I have been one of those teachers that has been bombarded with overdue notices, and this lesson points out the fact that this bombarding “will result in unread notices,” which is so very true! As a teacher, I got to the point that I wouldn’t read them, or that students got tired of the continual “advertisement” that they had an overdue book. Now being on the other side of that fence, I need to make sure that the overdues are dealt with in a way that is acceptable with teachers, and not looked at as annoying!

It will be wonderful when I can get into a library and start implementing all of these suggestions, and make the library a great learning space for students and teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment